Rest versus Sleep
Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve been having this reminder with my girls…
Sleep is not rest; and Rest doesn’t derive from sleep only.
It’s an on and on cycle with my girls now…and I’ve also got the chance to remind myself of this.
By sleeping, you’re trying to give the body rest. But if your mind’s not at peace, you don’t get much rest. How many times have you had a fitful sleep? Or wake up feeling as though you’ve not rested? Are there times when you’ve slept for 10 hours and yet wake up feeling tired; what about feeling real alert after just 5 hours of sleep?
Doing mindless things help rest the brain.
I remember making hot chocolate drinks for my hostel mates in uni as a form of rest…sometimes including some toasts as well.
Or, I write little cards to my friends back home inSingapore . Or, a walk to the beach for ice-cream, or even walking aimlessly in the supermarket helps!!
Such “distractions” or “productive procrastination” as I call it, have helped me clear my mind for bit, and I realized I was able to work better.
Same at work now. When my brain’s dead, I try to either read the papers online, or if circumstance allows, I’ll walk out to the restaurant for a bit. It helps freshen the mind, and if I get out of my work station, it’s rest too!
So you see? Sleep is important. Rest is equally important.
Sleeping is merely a form of resting. However, when sleeping, rest happens only if one is at peace. Where does the peace comes from? From God, where else!?
In Him, we find rest. In Him, we have peace.
For Jesus had said “Come to me, all you who are weary, and I will give you rest!”
So, why worry? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
Sleep is not rest; and Rest doesn’t derive from sleep only.
It’s an on and on cycle with my girls now…and I’ve also got the chance to remind myself of this.
By sleeping, you’re trying to give the body rest. But if your mind’s not at peace, you don’t get much rest. How many times have you had a fitful sleep? Or wake up feeling as though you’ve not rested? Are there times when you’ve slept for 10 hours and yet wake up feeling tired; what about feeling real alert after just 5 hours of sleep?
Doing mindless things help rest the brain.
I remember making hot chocolate drinks for my hostel mates in uni as a form of rest…sometimes including some toasts as well.
Or, I write little cards to my friends back home in
Such “distractions” or “productive procrastination” as I call it, have helped me clear my mind for bit, and I realized I was able to work better.
Same at work now. When my brain’s dead, I try to either read the papers online, or if circumstance allows, I’ll walk out to the restaurant for a bit. It helps freshen the mind, and if I get out of my work station, it’s rest too!
So you see? Sleep is important. Rest is equally important.
Sleeping is merely a form of resting. However, when sleeping, rest happens only if one is at peace. Where does the peace comes from? From God, where else!?
In Him, we find rest. In Him, we have peace.
For Jesus had said “Come to me, all you who are weary, and I will give you rest!”
So, why worry? Take it to the Lord in prayer!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home