Simple Pleasures
As a child, I never had the luxury of having a grandpa around to pamper me. But, I’ve been blessed with a wonderful grandmother (ah mah) who pampers me to bits, disciplines when needed, and most of all, to impart all family values that I now carry. No, I’m not saying she took up the responsibility of bringing me up. She played a part, complementing my parents’ teachings and doting.
When I was a child, she’ll used to bring me around on her many shopping trips, to the temples (I waited outside), to the salons, and even when she goes visiting our relatives or to play mahjong. She’ll take simple pleasures in the things I do, like cooking a simple soup dish, or helping out with just cooking the rice. As I grew, she took pride in a simple amethyst pandant that I bought for one of her birthdays.
Now, her children and grandchildren are all grown up. Her pleasure is simply to see them every now and then, to hear from there, and better still, to have a meal with her.
This morning, while everyone embarked towards Church Camp, my family took the train across the island to visit Grandma. You can literally hear her voice light up; can feel her mind thinking of shifting her appointments around to accommodate us; and she walked right up to the condo’s security gates just to welcome us. I reckon Uncle’s decision to go out for lunch together further made her day. She was contented holding my hand, and walking around the airport, all the way to the restaurant. Very happily, she had lunch with 2 sons and their wives, and 4 grandchildren.
After lunch, she cheerfully waved goodbye to us, saying she’s off to play mahjong. Gave a little money to spend, telling her it’s for her to play mahjong (no, I do not encourage gambling). And there it was, I saw her face lighting up with pride, and she went round saying her grandchild gave her money for her entertainment. I felt a grandmother’s pride and joy this afternoon. Something to small, yet bring so much happiness.
Today, simple pleasure for my grandmother was to see her children and grandchildren, to hold my hand, and to have lunch with 2 families; simple pleasure for me was to see how happy my grandmother was, and how proud she is of her family
When I was a child, she’ll used to bring me around on her many shopping trips, to the temples (I waited outside), to the salons, and even when she goes visiting our relatives or to play mahjong. She’ll take simple pleasures in the things I do, like cooking a simple soup dish, or helping out with just cooking the rice. As I grew, she took pride in a simple amethyst pandant that I bought for one of her birthdays.
Now, her children and grandchildren are all grown up. Her pleasure is simply to see them every now and then, to hear from there, and better still, to have a meal with her.
This morning, while everyone embarked towards Church Camp, my family took the train across the island to visit Grandma. You can literally hear her voice light up; can feel her mind thinking of shifting her appointments around to accommodate us; and she walked right up to the condo’s security gates just to welcome us. I reckon Uncle’s decision to go out for lunch together further made her day. She was contented holding my hand, and walking around the airport, all the way to the restaurant. Very happily, she had lunch with 2 sons and their wives, and 4 grandchildren.
After lunch, she cheerfully waved goodbye to us, saying she’s off to play mahjong. Gave a little money to spend, telling her it’s for her to play mahjong (no, I do not encourage gambling). And there it was, I saw her face lighting up with pride, and she went round saying her grandchild gave her money for her entertainment. I felt a grandmother’s pride and joy this afternoon. Something to small, yet bring so much happiness.
Today, simple pleasure for my grandmother was to see her children and grandchildren, to hold my hand, and to have lunch with 2 families; simple pleasure for me was to see how happy my grandmother was, and how proud she is of her family

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home